Two Hospitalized after Eating Skittles

Although officials were concerned about safety, tests show there were no unusual chemicals found in the Skittles

Despite two people being hospitalized after eating Skittles purchased at a Richmond, IN Marathon Food Mart, state officials have determined no unusual chemical substances were found in the Skittles. The Skittles were tested at the Indiana State Department of Health on March 5th and preliminary results have shown no toxins in the candy. The department determined that the Skittles are safe to eat, according to a press release from the State Department of Health.

Food Safety News reports that two people who ate Skittles sold at the food mart were hospitalized on the afternoon of March 4. They were taken to Reid Hospital and “treated for burning throats, cramping and diarrhea and have been released from the hospital.” The Indiana Department of Health initially issued a warning based on results they found after completing field tests. In addition, Department of Homeland Security and the FDA were investigating whether the packages had been tampered with. The state has since closed the investigation due to the chemical tests showing no toxins in the candy. 

Download Center

HTML - No Current Item Deck

OH&S Digital Edition

  • OHS Magazine Digital Edition - April 2021

    April 2021

    Featuring:

    • TRAINING: ELECTRICAL SAFETY
      Tips on Creating an Effective Electrical PPE Programs
    • PPE: VISION PROTECTION
      Considerations for Choosing Eye Protection
    • WELDING
      A New Paradigm for Reducing Contaminated Welds
    • CONFINED SPACES
      Limiting the Risk of Exposure with the Correct PPE
    View This Issue