Hazmat Chemical Jeopardizes Health of Hotel Residents

A San Francisco hotel reports 15 illnesses from an accidental release of bear repellent

Due to an employee accidentally setting off a canister of bear repellent at a hotel in San Francisco, several hotel guests were ill and had to be taken to the hospital. Guests reported symptoms such as trouble breathing and irritation, according to NBC.

The incident occurred at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, September 30 at the Raddison Hotel Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco. There was a brief, hour-long evacuation of the hotel, and though no serious injuries or illnesses were report, four of the 15 affected victims were taken to the hospital.

A maintenance worker found the open canister left in a room, and the fumes were suspected to have traveled through the air ducts into the rest of the hotel.

For more information, visit: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/SF-Fishermans-Wharf-Hotel-Evacuated-Due-to-Hazardous-Substance-225898201.html

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/09/30/san-francisco-hotel-evacuated-due-to-hazardous-materials-spill/

Bulwark FR Quiz

OH&S Digital Edition

  • OHS Magazine Digital Edition - September 2020

    September 2020

    Featuring:

    • WINTER HAZARDS
      Winter Hazards Preparation Should Kick Off in the Fall Months
    • OIL & GAS
      How Safety Has Become a Priority for the Oil Sector
    • COMBUSTIBLE DUST
      Protecting the Plant from Catastrophic Combustible Dust Explosions
    • FACILITY SAFETY
      Empowering Workers in an Uncertain World
    View This Issue