ANSI 2013 Committee Leaders Selected
Several committee chairs come from Underwriters Laboratories Inc. and also from the National Electrical Manufacturers Association. The Safety Equipment Institute’s president, Patricia Gleason, chairs the Conformity Assessment Policy Committee.
ANSI, the American National Standards Institute, on Jan. 9 announced the people who will lead its member forums, policy committees, and program oversight committees for 2013. Forum chairs are elected each year for up to three one-year terms and serve as ex-officio members of the ANSI Board of Directors, while the ANSI chairman (with board approval) chooses policy committee chairs, and the program oversight committee chairs are appointed by their committees and approved by the ANSI chairman and Executive Committee.
Noteworthy among the many names on the 2013 list are multiple committee chairs from Underwriters Laboratories Inc. and from the National Electrical Manufacturers Association. The Safety Equipment Institute's president, Patricia Gleason, chairs the Conformity Assessment Policy Committee. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), a Commerce Department unit, also is well represented.
The member forum leaders are:
- Company Member Forum: John D. Kulick, Ph.D., Siemens Corporation
- Consumer Interest Forum: R. David Pittle, Ph.D.
- Government Member Forum: Mary C. McKiel, Ph.D., U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Organizational Member Forum: Lee Webster, Society for Human Resource Management
Policy committee chairs are:
- ANSI International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Council: Mary C. McKiel, Ph.D., EPA
- Conformity Assessment Policy Committee: Patricia Gleason, Safety Equipment Institute
- Intellectual Property Rights Policy Committee: Earl Nied, Intel Corporation
- International Policy Committee: Laura E. Hitchcock, The Boeing Company
- National Policy Committee: Mary H. Saunders, NIST
- United States National Committee of the International Electrotechnical Commission: Philip M. Piqueira, GE Industrial Solutions
Program Oversight Committee chairs include:
- Accreditation Committee for Product Certifiers: Richard Church, Plastic Pipe and Fittings Association
- ANSI Conference for Food Protection Accreditation Committee: Sharon Goldsmith, Ph.D., Goldsmith International SPE
- ANSI Appeals Board: Clark Silcox, National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA)
- ANSI Board of Standards Review: Megan Hayes, NEMA
- ANSI Executive Standards Council: Claire Ramspeck, ASHRAE
- Personnel Certification Accreditation Committee: Dale Cyr, American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
The committee Gleason chairs is responsible for developing strategic directions and policies related to international and regional conformity assessment, accreditation programs for certification bodies, and managing relationships with conformity assessment organizations, among other things. The ANSI staff contact for the committee is Lane Hallenbeck, VP of Accreditation Services, 202-331-3612 or [email protected]