OSHA Investigating Carbon Monoxide Leak at Trader Joe's Warehouse
After 18 employees become sick, the Pennsylvania warehouse was evacuated. All are expected to recover.
OSHA is conducting an investigation at a warehouse owned by Trader Joe's, a specialty grocery store, in Pennsylvania after a carbon monoxide leak made some employees sick.
Eighteen employees working in the warehouse became ill after the carbon monoxide leak on Sunday. The nearly 200 employees were evacuated from the warehouse, and those feeling ill were taken to a hospital for treatment. They were allowed to return later in the day.
Malfunctions within the batteries of five forklifts in the warehouse may have been the cause for the carbon monoxide leak.
Separately, FDA inspectors are investigating a Sunland Inc. production facility that manufactured Trader Joe's Valencia Creamy Salted Peanut Butter. Sunland Inc. volunteered to recall almond butter and peanut butter products that were manufactured on the same product line as the Trader Joe's peanut butter between May 1 and Sept. 24, 2012, and the company on Sept. 24 expanded the recall to about 100 products, after FDA and CDC notified Sunland that the products may be contaminated with Salmonella.