AIHA Announces 2012 Award Winners
Tan Kia Tang, deputy director of the Occupational Safety and Health Specialist Department at the Ministry of Manpower in Singapore, is the Yant Award winner.
The American Industrial Hygiene Association announced the winners of its major awards for 2012, including the Donald E. Cummings Memorial Award, the Distinguished Service Award, the Yant Award, and the Alice Hamilton Award. AIHA and its members are preparing for this year's AIHce conference, taking place June 16,21 in Indianapolis, where some of these awards will be presented.
- The Edward J. Baier Technical Achievement Award to the individual or group of individuals, company, academic institution, organization or association that has made the most significant contribution to industrial hygiene in recent years. The 2012 recipient is Daniel Drolet of IRSST in Quebec. He has been a key innovator in the development of the IH Mod, a program of mathematical modeling for industrial hygienists.
- The Distinguished Service Award, recognizing distinguished service in the advancement of industrial hygiene and unique technical contributions to the aims and goals of AIHA. The 2012 recipient is Loren Anderson, CIH, ROH, who has served the AIHA Board of Directors as both a director and treasurer.
- The Donald E. Cummings Memorial Award, given for outstanding contributions to the knowledge and practice of industrial hygiene. The recipient presents the Cummings Memorial Lecture at AIHce. The 2012 recipient is Franklin Mirer, Ph.D., CIH, professor of Environmental and Occupational Health at the Hunter College of the City University of New York.
- The Kusnetz Award, which honors a certified hygienist who has not reached his or her 40th birthday by May 1 of the year when the award is presented; currently employed in the private sector; exhibits high ethical standards and technical abilities; has provided for the highest standards of health and safety protection; and shows promise of leadership in the industrial hygiene profession. The 2012 recipient is Michael Finnamore, MSPH, CIH, CSP, CHMM, who has served the AIHA Ionizing Radiation committee as secretary, vice-chair, and chairman.
- The Alice Hamilton Award, presented to an outstanding woman who has made a definitive, lasting achievement in the field of occupational and environmental hygiene through public and community service, social reform, technological innovation or advancements in the scientific approach to the recognition, evaluation and control of workplace hazards. The 2012 recipient is Cindy Coe, CIH, regional administrator in OSHA Region IV. She has
served on AIHA's Board of Directors.
- The Yant Award, which is presented annually for outstanding contributions in industrial hygiene or allied fields to an individual residing outside the United States. The 2012 recipient is Tan Kia Tang, deputy director of the Occupational Safety and Health Specialist Department of the Ministry of Manpower in Singapore.
- The President's Award, presented annually to an individual, task force, special interest group, or local section for outstanding contributions to efforts to achieve the mission of the AIHA during the presidency year. The award winner will be announced and honored at the AIHA President's Reception on Wednesday, June 20 at AIHce 2012.