DuPont Contest Seeks Innovations in Packaging
DuPont Packaging has issued a call for entries for its 22nd DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation program, an independently judged competition designed to honor excellence in cost and waste reduction, sustainability, and overall packaging innovation.
"At DuPont, we work with brand owners and value chain partners to develop cost-effective packaging structures that help reduce waste and have improved environmental performance. Innovation is key to these new packaging approaches," said Carolann Haznedar, global business director for DuPont Packaging. "In this year's program, we will be broadening the focus of the DuPont Awards from solely sustainability achievements to include packaging innovation and waste/cost reduction as well as sustainability achievements. DuPont sponsors this program to recognize achievements that provide learnings to the industry and to highlight the importance of collaboration. To foster knowledge-sharing on the winners of the 22nd Awards, we will conduct a global online event that will be open to the industry. In addition, winners will be honored in a celebration event with senior DuPont executives."
The deadline for entries is Feb. 12, 2010. Packaging designers, converters, consumer good producers, retailers, and equipment manufacturers from around the world are encouraged to enter their new product packaging developments, the company said.
There is no fee for entry and DuPont materials do not need to be in the packaging structure. In evaluating entries, jurors will consider excellence in one or more of these areas: innovation, sustainability, and cost/waste reduction. Winners will be announced in the spring of 2010.
The international jury panel for this year's competition includes:
- John Bernardo, president, Sustainable Innovations LLC, USA
- Peter Clarke, founder and CEO, Product Ventures, USA
- Sara Hartwell, Environmental Specialist, U.S. EPA Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery, USA
- Stuart Lendrum, head of Packaging, Sainsburys Supermarket Ltd., UK
- Mike Maggio, vice president of Global Strategic Design Operations, Johnson and Johnson, USA
- Greg Pockat, vice president of Research and Development, Curwood Inc., A Bemis Company, USA
- Fred Renk, vice president of External Technology, Mead Westvaco, USA
- Gail Tavill, vice president of Sustainable Development, ConAgra Foods, USA
- Patricia Villalobos, Ph.D., director of Research & Development, Bimbo, Mexico
Entry forms and guidelines are available at www.packaging.dupont.com.