Construction Users Roundtable Presents Safety Awards
The Construction Users Roundtable (CURT), a coalition of construction and engineering executives representing U.S. corporations and government organizations promoting cost-effective construction methods, presented its annual Construction Industry Safety Excellence (CISE) Awards at the National Construction Owners Conference held last week in Orlando, Fla.
During the event, CURT called upon the construction industry to continue its progress in promoting construction site safety across the United States, Canada, and the rest of the world and said improving the industry's safety performance is one of its core initiatives.
"The CURT Construction Industry Safety Excellence Award winners have once again established new levels of safety performance, achievement, and innovation that proves zero incidents can be achieved," said Greg Landis, co-chairman of the CURT Safety Committee. "Our class of 2009 award recipients have reinforced our belief that owner companies, contractor companies, and our skilled crafts can partner effectively together to design and build complex domestic and international projects that meet specific business needs and provide jobs while protecting the health and safety of all workers. CURT is proud to present world-class performance and teamwork resulting in the highest commitment to safety as defined by the Owner Safety Blueprint."
In the Owners division, this year's CISE Awards winners, in their respective categories, includes:
Specific U.S. Construction Project 12 Months in Duration:
- ExxonMobil Chemical Company, Baytown Eclipse Venture
- The Procter & Gamble Company, Box Elder, Utah
Specific International Project:
- RasGas Common Offplots Project
- Janssen Ortho LLC, a Johnson & Johnson Company, Concerta Project, Gurabo, Puerto Rico
In the Contractors division, which recognizes outstanding safety performance over the past three years, this year's CISE Awards winners, in their respective categories, includes:
General Building Contractors (NAICS Code 236):
- Bancroft Construction Company, 500,000 to 2,000,000 man hours/year
Heavy Construction Contractors (NAICS Code 237):
- Teton Industrial Construction Inc., a PCL Company, 500,000 to 2,000,000 man hours/year
- S&B Engineers and Constructors Ltd., over 2,000,000 man hours/year
Special Trade Contractors (NAICS Code 238):
- Canyon Concrete Inc., up to 500,000 man hours/year (Honorable mention)
- Nooter Construction Company, 500,000 to 2,000,000 man hours/year
- IES Industrial Inc., 500,000 to 200,000 man hours/year
"Safety improvement will continue to be a key deliverable and core value for CURT and its member firms," said CURT Executive Vice President Gregory Sizemore. "Those who do an outstanding job at reducing construction workers' injuries are to be commended."