OSHA Seeks Insight on Stockpiling Respirators, Facemasks for Pandemic Flu
OSHA is inviting comments on its document entitled "Proposed Guidance on Workplace Stockpiling of Respirators and Facemasks for Pandemic Influenza." The agency is particularly interested in addressing the following questions:
- Is the guidance clear and useful in helping employers determine if they should stockpile respirators and/or facemasks for their employees and the quantity of each device that should be stockpiled?
- Are there any parts of the guidance that are not clear and if so, how can they be clarified?
- Do the underlying assumptions used to estimate stockpiling needs, as well as cost estimates, for various types of facemasks and respirators, appear to be appropriate?
- If you have already addressed stockpiling needs for your facility, could you please provide your underlying assumptions and methodology?
- Are employers that should stockpile respirators and/or facemasks currently stockpiling these devices and if not, how can the guidance be modified to encourage them to begin stockpiling?
The Proposed Guidance will be made available on OSHA's Web site (www.osha.gov) and through its publications office. For more information, visit http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/E8-10312.htm. Comments must be submitted by July 8.