AIHA 2019 Award Winners Announced
The recipients will be recognized May 22 during the Mark of Excellence Awards Breakfast at the 2019 American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition in Minneapolis, Minn.
The American Industrial Hygiene Association has announced the recipients of the 2019 AIHA Named Awards, which honor individuals who provide significant contributions to the industrial hygiene and occupational and environmental health and safety professions. The recipients will be recognized May 22 during the Mark of Excellence Awards Breakfast at the 2019 American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Exposition in Minneapolis, Minn.
"These awardees have gone above and beyond the call of duty in contributing to the growth and development of the IH/OEHS profession. Their commitment and efforts significantly strengthen the capabilities of IH/OEHS professionals and improve the health and safety of America's workers. We are fortunate that they are dedicated members of AIHA," said AIHA President Cynthia Ostrowski, CIH.
The recipients are:
- Alice Hamilton Award: Marilyn A. Fingerhut, Ph.D., who retired after 25 years as a NIOSH epidemiologist and continues as a consultant for the agency; nominated by David M. Zalk, Ph.D., CIH, MPH. The Alice Hamilton Award is presented to an outstanding woman who has been engaged in IH and occupational health for at least 10 years and is dedicated to public and community service, social reform, and technological innovation.
- Donald E. Cummings Memorial Award: Noah Seixas, Ph.D., CIH; nominated by Marissa Baker and Martin A. Cohen, Sc.D., CIH. The Cummings Award is presented to an individual who has made outstanding contributions to the knowledge and practice of the profession of industrial hygiene and who has been acknowledged for his or her contributions outside the field (e.g., in environmental health and safety, occupational health, public health or business). Seixas will present the Cummings Memorial lecture May 21 at AIHce EXP.
- Distinguished Service to AIHA Award: Thomas P. Fuller, Sc.D., CIH, CSP, MSPH, MBA, who chaired the AIHA International Affairs Committee in 2017-18; nominated by Charles F. Redinger, Ph.D., CIH, FAIHA, and Marianne Levitsky, MES, CIH, ROH, FAIHA. The Distinguished Service to AIHA Award is presented to an individual who has advanced industrial hygiene through unique technical contributions to the aims and goals of AIHA, proven leadership in the IH profession, and proven influence on public policy or social reform, or public and community service.
- Edward J. Baier Technical Achievement Award: Michael Jayjock, Ph.D., CIH; nominated by Mark Stenzel, CIH, FAIHA. Sponsored by Bureau Veritas North America Inc., the Baier Award is given to the individual or group of individuals, company, academic institution, organization, or association that has made the most significant contribution to industrial hygiene in recent years through technical expertise, innovations, or scientific advancements.
- Henry F. Smyth Jr. Award: NIOSH's Charles L. Geraci, Ph.D., CIH, FAIHA; nominated by Amanda Archer, CSP, CIH. The Smyth Award is presented to an individual who has recognized the needs of the industrial hygiene profession and has made major contributions to fulfill those needs, thereby contributing to the improvement of public welfare. Geraci will present the Smyth Award lecture May 22 at AIHce EXP.
- Kusnetz Award: Megan Canright, MPH, CIH, director of scientific operations for Forensic Analytical Consulting Services; nominated by Chris L. Laszcz-Davis, M.S., CIH, COH, FAIHA, AIC Fellow, and Shannon H. Gaffney, Ph.D., MHS, CIH. Sponsored by Florence Kusnetz, the Kusnetz Award honors an industrial hygienist under the age of 40 who is currently employed in the private sector and shows promise of leadership in the industrial hygiene profession.
- Social Responsibility Award: Scott P. Schneider, CIH, FAIHA, who has been a member of the AIHA Ergonomics Committee for more than 20 years; nominated by Colin J. Brigham, CIH, CSP, CPE, CPEA, CSPHP, FAIHA. Sponsored by Bureau Veritas North America Inc., the Social Responsibility Award is presented to an individual, entity, group, or organization that works inside organizations to develop and promote practical solutions to social responsibility issues related to IH or environmental health and safety issues.
- Yant Award: Marianne Levitsky, MES, CIH, ROH, FAIHA; nominated by Nancy Manning McClellan, MPH, CIH, CHMM. Sponsored by the MSA, the Yant Award is presented for outstanding contributions in industrial hygiene or allied fields to an individual residing outside the United States. These contributions can include academic research, teaching, professional practice, solving major industrial hygiene issues or service to professional societies or international stature.
The 2019 recipient of the President's Award, which is presented annually by AIHA to an individual, task force, special interest group, or local section for outstanding contributions to efforts to achieve the mission of AIHA during the presidency year, will be announced at the breakfast.