AIHA Announces Winners of 2011 Awards
The Distinguished Service Award winner is Richard Fulwiler, ScD, CIH, CSHM, president of Technology Leadership Associates in Cincinnati, and the Donald E. Cummings Memorial Award winner is Roy M. Buchan, DrPH, CIH, founder of Colorado State University's industrial hygiene program.
The American Industrial Hygiene Association has announced the winners of its 2011 award recipients and the distinguished Fellows who will be recognized during the AIHce conference in Portland, Ore., in May. The major award winners are:
- Edward J. Baier Technical Achievement Award, given to the individual or group of individuals, company, academic institution, organization, or association that has made the most significant contribution to industrial hygiene in recent years: Lauralynn T. McKernan, ScD, CIH.
- The Distinguished Service Award, for distinguished service in the advancement of industrial hygiene and unique technical contributions to the aims and goals of AIHA: Richard D. Fulwiler, ScD, CIH, CSHM, president of Cincinnati's Technology Leadership Associates.
- The Donald E. Cummings Memorial Award, for outstanding contributions to the knowledge and practice of industrial hygiene: Roy M. Buchan, DrPH, CIH, founder of Colorado State University's industrial hygiene program. (Buchan will present the Cummings Memorial Lecture at AIHce.)
- The Kusnetz Award, for a certified hygienist who has not reached his or her 40th birthday by May 1 of the year in which the award is presented; is currently employed in the private sector; exhibits high ethical standards and technical abilities; has provided for the highest standards of health and safety protection; and who shows promise of leadership in the industrial hygiene profession: Sampa D. Ostrem, CIH.
- The Alice Hamilton Award, for an outstanding woman who has made a definitive, lasting achievement in the field of occupational and environmental hygiene through public and community service, social reform, technological innovation or advancements in the scientific approach to the recognition, evaluation and control of workplace hazards: Christine L. Laszcz-Davis, MS, CIH, REA.
- The Social Responsibility Award, given to an individual, entity, group or organization who works inside organizations to develop and promote practical solutions to social responsibility issues related to industrial hygiene or environmental health and safety issues: Maquiladora Health & Safety Support Network.
- The Yant Award, for outstanding contributions in industrial hygiene or allied fields to an individual living outside the United States: Trevor L. Ogden, BSc, PhD.
These people are 2011 AIHA Fellows:
- Harry J. Beaulieu, Ph.D., CIH, CSP
- Cindy A. Becnel
- Kenneth D. Blehm, Ph.D., CIH
- Gary M. Bratt, Ph.D., CIH, PE, BCEE
- William J. Brinkman, Ph.D., CIH, CSP
- Robert C. Brzozowski, Ph.D.
- George R. Gruetzmacher, Ph.D., CIH, CSP, PE
- Thomas G. Grumbles, CIH
- Lee D. Hager
- Ezekiel Haslam, Jr., CIH, CSP
- Richard B. Hirsh, CIH, MPH
- Judson L. Kenoyer, CIH, CHP
- Kenneth W. Kretchman, CIH, CSP
- William E. Luttrell, PhD, CIH
- Nancy P. Orr, CIH, CSP
- Cynthia A. Ostrowski, CIH
- Francis J. Pokrywka, CIH
- Christopher P. Rennix, ScD, MS, CIH
- Lorraine M. Sedlak, CIH, CSP
- Edward A. Stuber, CIH
- Kenneth M. Wallingford, CIH
For more information, visit http://www.aiha.org/aboutaiha/Pages/AwardsandHonors.aspx.