ASSE Honors 8 Safety Pros for 'Making a Difference'
The American Society of Safety Engineers recently honored eight of its members--one from each of the society's eight geographic regions--with the annual Region Safety Professional of the Year award for their ongoing contributions to their chapters; their commitment to protecting people, property, and the environment; and their service to ASSE in general.
The recipients are Jack R. Iriart, CSP, of Bakersfield, Calif.; George F. Wolff, Jr., CSP, of Denver; Jeffrey S. Oakley, Ph.D., CSP, of Friendswood, Texas; Jeffrey W. Spackman of Orlando, Fla.; Maribeth A. Anderson of Chicago; Ujwal Ritwik, CRSP, of Shuaiba, Kuwait; John A. Principe III, CHCM, CSP, of Granville, Ohio; and Eric J. Clouthier of North Hampton, N.H. All were recognized by their peers at ASSE's annual members' business meeting June 28 during the Professional Development Conference held in San Antonio, Texas.
The Region SPY awards, voted on by peers, are given annually to the most outstanding safety professionals for contributions to service and leadership within their regions and chapters for "making a difference," ASSE said. Each of ASSE's eight regions contain anywhere from 15 to 20 chapters. The society's members volunteer their time to assist their chapters and the society in promoting work safety and the SH&E profession.
- Iriart, of the ASSE Bakersfield Chapter, received the award for Region I. He serves as environmental health & safety director for Gene Watson Construction.
- Wolff, principal safety manager for Rule Engineering LLC and member of the ASSE Colorado Chapter, received the Region II SPY award.
- Oakley, ASSE Gulf Coast Chapter member and director of the Gulf Coast Safety Institute in the Occupational Safety and Health Program at College of the Mainland in Texas, was recognized with the Region III SPY award.
- Spackman, president of ASSE's Central Florida Chapter and director of corporate safety & security for Bright House Networks, won for Region IV.
- Anderson, a member of the ASSE Greater Chicago Chapter and the VP for Region V, won for Region V. She serves as corporate safety manager of operations for Sears Holdings Corp.
- Ritwick, the Region VI recipient, is a member of ASSE's Kuwait Chapter and serves as senior specialist of health, safety, and environment for the Kuwait National Petroleum Company.
- Principe, the Region VII recipient, serves as EH&S director at Denison University in Ohio and is a member of the ASSE Central Ohio Chapter.
- Clouthier, a member of the ASSE Granite State Chapter, took home the award for Region VIII. He currently serves as safety engineer for Harvey Building Products.