A&P Offers Hurricane Preparedness Guide
With the 2008 hurricane season at its peak and all eyes currently on Hurricane Ike coming down the pike, The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company Inc. (A&P) is urging customers to be Storm Safe and Storm Ready, by planning ahead for the potential dangerous weather. The company, one of the nation's first supermarket chains (which still operates 447 stores in eight states and the District of Columbia), is releasing a series of radio spots and in-store communications at more than 384 A&P, Waldbaum's, SuperFresh, and Pathmark supermarkets, and has established a hurricane preparedness guide, featuring key items households need to weather the storm safely. At each store location, customers can receive a take-away that outlines these necessities, which include:
- Bottled Water--One gallon per person, per day
- Food--Ready to eat, nonperishable, or canned foods and a manual can opener
- Table Needs--Plastic utensils, paper plates, and paper towels
- First Aid--Bandages, sterile gloves, medications, prescription drugs, etc.
- Hygiene Items--Toilet paper, moist towelettes, soap, toothpaste, etc.
- Child Care Supplies--Diapers, baby wipes, formula, etc.
- Sanitation--Garbage bags and cleaning supplies such as chlorine bleach
- Radio--Battery-powered with extra batteries
- Phone--Rotary, cell, or other model that does not require electricity
- Lighting--Flashlights, lanterns, candles, and waterproof matches
- Signaling Device--Whistle or horn
- Backups--Extra charger for cell phone, spare set of keys, extra eye glasses
The company also notes that it is important to check for loose objects in the yard, stay tuned to the latest news, and remember to fuel your car before any storm hits. To download a complete list of disaster supplies and additional tips, visit A&P's Web site at www.apfreshonline.com/bestormsafe. The site includes links to NOAA and FEMA for the latest information on upcoming storms.