Worker Deglazing Bathtub Died of Exposure to Methylene Chloride
The toxic chemical is typically found in paint stripper
OSHA says that the death of a worker from acute methylene chloride exposure could have been avoided if his employer protected him from dangerous exposure to the toxin in the paint remover used to deglaze a bathtub in a public housing complex.
OSHA has cited Best Touch Tub & Tile LLC for six serious safety violations, including the failure to: monitor a worker’s exposure to methylene chloride, provide medical surveillance, provide adequate respiratory protection, and develop a respiratory protection program.
"This man died tragically and needlessly," said Howard Eberts, OSHA's area director in Cleveland. "OSHA recommends alternative, less hazardous chemicals or methods be used to eliminate exposure to methylene chloride. When employers use products containing methylene chloride, they must train workers to protect themselves. They must also provide adequate ventilation, respiratory protection and protective clothing and proper equipment. "