Red Cross Releases New First Aid App for Smartphones
This app gives instant access to information on how to handle the most common first aid situations and includes videos and interactive quizzes.
American Red Cross recently launched its official first aid app, putting free and simple lifesaving information right in the hands of smartphone users.
This app gives instant access to information on how to handle the most common first aid situations and includes videos and interactive quizzes. Users who take quizzes can earn badges that they can share with friends through social media to show off their lifesaving knowledge.
“The penetration of personal smartphone ownership in the U.S. has recently risen above 60 percent and will likely soon reach the level of traditional wire line phones,” said Jack McMaster, president of Preparedness and Health and Safety Services for American Red Cross. “The broad availability of this platform opens a new opportunity for us to create custom apps, free of charge, tailored to specific emergencies confronting individuals no matter where they are.”
App features include:
- Simple step-by-step instructions for everyday first aid scenarios;
- Prioritized steps to take during an emergency, with a 911 call button;
- Sharable badges to be unlocked through interactive quizzes;
- Videos and animations to make learning first aid fun and easy;
- Safety and preparedness tips for a range of conditions including severe winter weather, hurricanes, earthquakes, and tornadoes;
- Preloaded content that gives instant access to all safety information at any time.
The app is free and available for iPhone and Android users. Find the app in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store for Android by searching for American Red Cross.