BCSP Executive Director Named to ANSI Accreditation Committee
Thomas L. Adams is among four new members announced by the American National Standards Institute on Nov. 15.
The American National Standards Institute announced Thomas L. Adams, executive director of the Board of Certified Safety Professionals, and three other individuals have been appointed to ANSI's Personnel Certification Accreditation Committee, which is responsible for the operational aspects of ANSI's Accreditation Program for Personnel Certification Bodies.
Adams has been BCSP's executive director since September 2009. The other three appointees are Benjamin Goldstein, energy technology program specialist at the U.S. Department of Energy's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy; Lisa Lutz, president of Solutions for Information Design in Burke, Va.; and Jennifer McNelly, senior vice president at the Manufacturing Institute, a non-profit affiliate of the National Association of Manufacturers.
"ANSI is pleased to welcome these outstanding leaders in the credentialing field to our Personnel Certification Accreditation Committee," said S. Joe Bhatia, ANSI's president and CEO. "Having such experienced and strong expert participation at this program’s policy level underscores our commitment to offering the most comprehensive personnel certification accreditation process in the United States."
The committee is responsible for the policy, procedures, and accreditation decisions relating to the accreditation of personnel certification bodies, specifically:
- accrediting personnel certification bodies in accordance with ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024, General Requirements for Bodies Operating Certification Systems of Persons, and IAF Guidance to ISO/IEC 17024
- recommending policies to the Conformity Assessment Policy Committee
- creating procedures to support the approved policies
- receiving recommendations for accreditation from ANSI-approved assessors
- hearing first-level appeals regarding accreditation decisions and complaints regarding a certification body
Prior to joining BCSP, Adams held several top jobs with associations, including serving as executive director of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and executive vice president of the Wisconsin Medical Society.