NSC, Governors' Group Ally Against Prescription Drug Abuse
The Prescription Drug Abuse Reduction Policy Academy will help seven governors address this problem.
The National Safety Council announced it is partnering with the National Governors Association on a Prescription Drug Abuse Reduction Policy Academy. Operating for a year, the academy will help governors reduce abuse and misuse of prescription medications through six strategies.
The initiative is being co-chaired by Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley and Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper. In addition to their states, Arkansas, Kentucky, New Mexico, Oregon, and Virginia are participating. The strategies identified in the NGA brief "Six Strategies for Reducing Prescription Drug Abuse" are:
- Making better use of prescription drug monitoring programs
- Enhancing enforcement efforts
- Ensuring proper disposal of prescription drugs
- Leveraging the state's role as regulator and purchaser of services
- Building partnerships among key stakeholders
- Promoting public education about prescription drug abuse