OH&S SafetyPod: Coronavirus Basics - Symptoms, Transmissions, PPE, and Pandemic Planning
ASSP President-Elect Deborah Roy answers the most frequently asked questions about the COVID-19 pandemic with OH&S Editor Sydny Shepard.
- By Sydny Shepard
- Apr 23, 2020
The OH&S team is please to bring SafetyPod listeners the fourth installment of our Coronavirus Basics series on this episode of the podcast. As a continuation of her very informative webinar presented last week titled, "The Safety Professional's Role in Planning for a Pandemic," ASSP President-Elect Deborah Roy virtually sat down with me to answer some of the most frequently asked questions that attendees asked during the webinar.
Throughout the course of the episode, Sydny and Deborah discuss new symptoms and transmissions of the virus, alternatives for respirators, cloth face coverings, CDC cleaning guidelines and a safety professional's approach to creating an infections disease business continuity plan.
Please keep in mind that this interview was conducted on April 21, 2020 with the most up-to-date information. Depending on when you are listening to this, some statistics may have changed. If you'd like to check out our most recent news coverage on the virus, go to ohsonline.com/coronavirus.
Deborah was kind enough to share several links to resources referenced in the podcast. You can find those linked below:
- Neurologic Manifestations of Hospitalized Patients With Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Wuhan, China
- Association of chemosensory dysfunction and Covid‐19 in patients presenting with influenza‐like symptoms
- Implementing Safety Practices for Critical Infrastructure Workers
- NIH study validates decontamination methods for re-use of N95 respirators
- Interim Guidance for Conserving and Extending Filtering Facepiece Respirator Supply in Non-Healthcare Sectors
- Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1
- Cleaning and Disinfection for Community Facilities
- Flu and Infectious Disease Outbreaks Business Continuity Plan
- Pandemic Influenza Business Planning Toolkit
- Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
Listen to this episode of OH&S SafetyPod on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify and more.
Sydny Shepard is the former editor of Occupational Health & Safety.