Meetings Set on Metal and Nonmetal Mines' Examination Rule
Becoming effective on June 2, 2018, the rule will require that each working place be examined at least once each shift for conditions that may adversely affect safety or health of miners before work begins or as miners begin work in that place.
Now that MSHA has published its final rule on examinations of working places in metal and nonmetal mines, the agency has posted the schedule of six stakeholder meetings next month to provide outreach and compliance assistance materials on the rule. (MSHA says a notice announcing stakeholder meetings in Seattle, Washington, and at MSHA’s district offices by way of video teleconferencing will be published at a later date.)
The rule includes updates based on stakeholder comments and testimony received during four public hearings last year. Becoming effective on June 2, 2018, the rule will require that:
- Each working place be examined at least once each shift for conditions that may adversely affect safety or health of miners before work begins or as miners begin work in that place.
- Mine operators promptly notify miners in affected areas of any conditions that may adversely affect their safety or health and promptly initiate appropriate corrective action; notification is necessary only when adverse conditions are not promptly corrected before miners are exposed.
- A record of the examination be made before the end of each shift, including the name of the person conducting the examination; the date of the examination; location of all areas examined; a description of each condition found that may adversely affect the safety or health of miners that is not promptly corrected, and the date of the corrective action (when that occurs).
- The record be made available to MSHA and miners' representatives upon request.
All six of the stakeholder meetings announced so far will start at 9 a.m. local time. The schedule is:
- May 1, DoubleTree by Hilton, 10 Brickyard Drive, Bloomington, IL 61701 (309-664-6446)
- May 15, Sheraton Birmingham, 2101 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. North, Birmingham, AL 35203 (205-324-5000)
- May 17, Hilton Garden Inn Pittsburgh Downtown, 250 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15222 (412-281-5557)May 22, Renaissance Reno Downtown, One South Lake St., Reno, NV 89501 (775-682-3900)
- May 24, DoubleTree by Hilton, 2015 Market Center Blvd., Dallas, TX 75207 (214-741-7481)
- May 31, Hilton Garden Inn Denver Tech Center, 7675 East Union Ave., Denver, CO 80237 (303-770-4200)