Hear This: Free Seminars on Hearing Conservation to Take Place in Texas
Employers across Texas are invited to attend free seminars in June designed to improve their hearing conservation programs and help prevent noise-induced hearing loss among workers. The three-hour programs, offered by Howard Leight® and Sperian Hearing Protection LLC, are set to take place in Dallas, San Antonio, Corpus Christi, and Houston as part of the companies' "HearForeverTM" initiative.
Dr. Theresa Y. Schulz, Lt. Col. (retired, U.S. Air Force), the hearing conservation manager at Sperian Hearing Protection, LLC/Howard Leight, will host the seminars, aimed at providing practical information on noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) and the latest research and technologies. Schulz is past president of the National Hearing Conservation Association (NHCA) and past chair of the Council for Accreditation in Occupational Hearing Conservation (CAOHC). She is a Texas native and during her career in the Air Force was stationed for a time at Brooks AFB in San Antonio. She holds a Ph.D. in hearing science from Ohio State University.
Designed for industrial hygienists, occupational health and safety professionals, safety managers, audiologists, and liability and risk management professionals, the "HearForever: Best Practices in Hearing Conservation" seminars will cover:
- Basics of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss
- Key Elements of an Effective Hearing Conservation Program
- Impending Changes to the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) and How They Affect Employers
- Selection and Fitting of Hearing Protectors
- Employee Motivation and Training Techniques/Resources
- New Hearing Conservation Innovations and Technologies
The seminars will run from 9 a.m. to noon CDT:
- Monday, June 7 - Dallas, Embassy Suites Dallas – DFW International Airport North at Outdoor World
- Tuesday, June 8 - San Antonio, Holiday Inn Northwest/Seaworld
- Wednesday, June 9 - Corpus Christi, Embassy Suites Corpus Christi
- Thursday, June 10 - Houston, Marriott Houston South at Hobby Airport
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) are available for AIHA and ASSE members. Attendees will receive free training materials, literature, and hearing protection samples. Attendees also are invited to participate in hands-on demonstrations of Howard Leight's new VeriPRO® earplug fit testing system and QuietDoseTM in-ear dosimetry. A complimentary continental breakfast is included.
To register, visit www.hearforever.org/hf2010texas.
Smithfield, R.I.-based Howard Leight, part of Sperian Hearing Protection LLC, is a global provider of passive and intelligent hearing protection devices and technologies, and the founder of the HearForever initiative to raise awareness of the dangers, risks and consequences of NIHL.