Industrial Hygiene Students Reap 60700 in AIHF Scholarships
The American Industrial Hygiene Foundation, a nonprofit organization formed by the American Industrial Hygiene Association to award scholarships to students studying industrial hygiene and related disciplines announced its 2009 scholarship winners yesterday here at AIHce.
For the 2009-2010 academic year, 26 scholarships totaling $60,700 were awarded to 20 students. Eight of those scholarships were funded by the following: Alabama Local Section, Chicago Local Section, Deep South Local Section, Georgia Local Section, Michigan Industrial Hygiene Society, and the Northern California Local Section.
"This year has been difficult for everyone due to the economy, but thanks to the generosity of the AIHA Board of Directors and our Local Section partners, we are still able to award scholarships to deserving students," said AIHF President Curtis W. Hintz, CIH, CSP. "Tough economic times make it more difficult for students to stay in school and complete their studies, so I'm confident that this year's scholarship money will be especially appreciated and put to excellent use by our students as they prepare to become our leaders of tomorrow."
The following students received the awards:
- Kevin M. Abernethy, University of Michigan, George and Florence Clayton Scholarship
- Olorunfemi T. Adetona, University of Georgia, AIHF Scholarship and Georgia Local Section Scholarship
- Bufford A. Ang, University of Michigan, Ralph G. Smith Memorial Scholarship
- Jo Anne G. Balanay, CIH, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama Local Section Scholarship
- Matthew R. Black, Murray State University, Liberty Mutual Scholarship
- Nancy Brinton, University of Utah, AIHF Scholarship
- Shaun A. Crawford, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Alabama Local Section Scholarship
- Maggie J. Haverkamp, Murray State University, Ralph Vernon Memorial Scholarship and Fred S. Venable – Deep South Local Section Scholarship
- Heather A. Hochstetler, University of Cincinnati, AIHA Scholarship
- Chun-Yip Hon, CRSP, CIH, University of British Columbia, Robert L. Harris Scholarship and Los Alamos Industrial Hygiene Scholarship
- Tran Huynh, University of Minnesota, TSI/Arthur J. Abrams Memorial Scholarship
- Carina T. Kouyoumji, University of California, Los Angeles, Lawrence R. Birkner and Ruth K. McIntyre-Birkner Memorial Scholarship and Northern California Local Section Scholarship
- Eric N. Liberda, New York University, Morton Lippmann Scholarship
- James P. McDonald, University of Utah, AIHA Local Section Scholarship and Jeffrey S. Lee Memorial Scholarship
- Adam M. McLeland, Purdue University, Chicago Local Section Scholarship
- Chirag A. Patel, University of Illinois at Chicago, Jerry Lynch Scholarship and Chicago Local Section Scholarship
- Brian T. Pavilonis, University of Iowa, Clyde M. Berry Memorial Scholarship
- Namhee Shin, Wayne State University, Michigan Industrial Hygiene Society Merit Scholarship
- Pearl Siganporia, University of British Columbia, Kyle B. Dotson Scholarship
- Donna Vosburgh, University of Iowa, Clyde M. Berry Memorial Scholarship
Since 1982, AIHF has distributed more than $1,077,000 to 397 students at more than 46 different schools and universities. These scholarships have enabled talented students to complete their education and have encouraged the most promising scholars to enter or remain in the industrial hygiene profession.
Students are evaluated on academic record, extracurricular activities, future goals as an industrial hygienist, and potential for leadership in the industrial hygiene profession. Scholarships are awarded based on the availability of funds provided through contributions from AIHA members, individuals, corporations, and local sections to the AIHF endowment fund. For more information regarding AIHF or to make a donation, contact Vicky Yobp at (703) 846-0769 or email@example.com, or visit www.aihfoundation.org.