ACOEM Offers Guidance on Contact Lenses in Industrial Environments
The American College of Occupational and Environmental Medicine has released a guidance statement on the use of contact lenses and personal protective equipment in an industrial environment.
The guidelines contain recommendations for contact lens use in an eye-hazardous environment to guide occupational safety and health professionals to safely implement a policy. The recommendations include:
- Establishing a written policy,
- Conducting a hazard evaluation,
- Providing training and PPE,
- Notifying employees and visitors of denied or restricted areas, and
- Notifying supervisors and responders of contact lens wearers working in eye-hazardous areas.
The guidance statement is available on ACOEM's Web site at www.acoem.org/guidelines.aspx?id=570.