Podcasts Highlight Fire/EMS Safety, Health and Survival Week
Fire/EMS Safety, Health and Survival Week 2008 starts today, with three leading organizations (NFPA, the International Association of Fire Chiefs, and the International Association of Fire Fighters) urging the fire service to focus on wellness, training, PPE, and related health and safety issues. Daily podcasts are scheduled from NFPA, IAFC's Volunteer & Combination Officers Section, and the National Fire Fighter Near-Miss Reporting System. These podcasts will be available at www.nfpa.org/FSTpodcasts:
* Monday, June 23: Medical issues for firefighters
* Tuesday, June 24: Apparatus safety and changes to NFPA 1901
* Wednesday, June 25: Wildland firefighter safety
* Thursday, June 26: Fireside chat with Alan Brunacini
* Friday, June 27: Live fire training and the 2007 edition of NFPA 1403
The week's theme this year emphasizes the need for organizational actions that encourage a culture that embraces safety. The areas of focus are:
* Fully implement NFPA 1500, especially sections addressing PPE.
* Read NFPA 1582, Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments, and NFPA 1583, Health-Related Fitness Programs for Fire Department Members.
* Initiate an emergency vehicle policy that includes always buckling up, always stopping at red lights and stop signs, and always driving at speed limits and defensively.
* Read NFPA 1901, Automotive Fire Apparatus, and NFPA 1500, Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program.