Central Florida AOHN Chapter One of 2007's Award Winners
In addition to the host of individuals recognized at the Awards and Recognition dinner held April 18 during the 2007 AAOHN Symposium & Expo, a number of association chapters were also singled out for special achievement. The Central Florida AOHN chapter was recognized as the Chapter of the Year, and the Massachusetts State AOHN won the State or Regional Chapter of the Year Award. Both chapters received $300 and a plaque for the distinction. Also receiving $300 and plaques for their awards were the following chapters:
- the Heart of Illinois Chapter won the Best Short Educational Activity for its "Balancing Work Life and Family Life" program;
- the New Jersey State AOHN Chapter won the Best One-Day Educational Activity for its "Pre- and Post-Disaster Planning" program;
- the Susquehanna Valley Pennsylvania AOHN Chapter took home the Best Multi-Day Educational Activity award for its "Occupational Health & Safety Issues in the Changing Environment" program.
In addition, the Pennsylvania State AOHN Chapter won the Chapter Governmental Affairs Award; the California Harbor Area AOHN Chapter won the Chapter Community Service Award; the California State AOHN Chapter won the Membership Recruitment Award (with 11.31 percent new members); and the Idaho Rocky Mountain AOHN Chapter won the Membership Retention Award (with 100 percent retention).
The recipients of a number of scholarships and grants were also recognized at the event. Among the academic study scholarship winners were:
- Katie Slavin, RN, BSN, $3,000 AAOHN Foundation Academic Scholarship;
- Arlene Guzik, MSN, ARNP-BC, COHN-S, FAAOHN, $3,000 Liberty Leadership Academic Scholarship;
- Tracey Yap, RN, BSN, $3,000 Physio-Control Academic Scholarship; and
- Marcella Thompson, MS, MSN, CSP, RN, COHN-S; Kathleen Sitzman, MS, RN; and Tracey Long, RN, BSN, MS, CDE, each receiving $3,000 Alcoa Foundation Academic Scholarships.
Grant recipients included:
- Jill Ladeoff, RN, MA, COHN-S and Susan Katz Sliski, RN, MSN receiving the Nurse in Washington Internship (NIWI) Grants;
- Kathleen Mullen, PhDc, MS, RN, receiving the $10,000 AAOHN Foundation Research Grant;
- Margaret Thompson, RN, MSN, COHN-S, FAAOHN, winning the $3,000 Medique Products New Investigator Research Grant; and
- Eileen Lukes, RN, MS, COHN-S, CCM, FAAOHN, winning the $2,000 Otis Clapp New Investigator Research Grant.
2008 AAOHN Foundation grant applications will be available between July 1 and December 1 on the AAOHN Web site, www.aaohn.org. Click on "AAOHN Foundation" for criteria and an application, or contact Don Bollmer via email at email@example.com. The deadline for the Leadership Development grant is Aug. 1; the deadline for all other applications is Dec. 1.