Building Business Bridges: Networking Events at ASSP Safety 2023
Attending Safety 2023 and ready to make new connections? Here are just some of the ways you can do that.
The American Society of Safety Professionals’ (ASSP) Safety 2023 Conference and Exposition (Safety 2023) is just around the corner.
Whether you’re a first-time attendee or a seasoned professional, Safety 2023 has much to offer. In addition to an extensive expo floor and sessions from industry-wide experts, Safety 2023—held this year from June 5 to 7 in San Antonio, Texas—provides the opportunity to meet and network with others in the health and safety industry.
Looking to make connections beyond the expo floor and informational sessions? ASSP offers many options.
Sunday Badge Pickup
If you’re going to grab your badge on Sunday, June 4, consider checking out the convention center by attending a guided tour, offered every 30 minutes. There will also be refreshments, music and more to do. Badge pickup begins at noon and ends at 7 p.m.
Rockin’ on the Riverwalk
After the first day of Safety 2023 is in the books, spend some time seeing the beautiful city of San Antonio, enjoying food, drinks and entertainment and walking along the river with other professionals. Rockin’ on the Riverwalk kicks off at the convention center’s Grotto, so no need to travel far. Tickets for the event—which runs from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on June 5— are $25. Per ASSP, “Proceeds from the event will support the ASSP Foundation Career Development Grant Program, which provides funding to OSH professionals and students to support their professional development costs.”
Career Advancement Center
The Career Advancement Center is a great place to make connections and help grow your career and knowledge. While the Expo is open, attendees can stop by booth #178 to connect with professionals and companies, learn who’s hiring, ask experts questions, attend short sessions and panels, and more.
On June 5, visit the Career Advancement Center to:
- Attend the “Building Your Professional Brand: Tips and Best Practices for Online Success” session from 12:15 to 12:45 p.m. and the “Navigating the Interview & Hiring Process” session from 1 to 1:30 p.m.
- Speak to ASSP’s Safety Professionals Handbook authors from 3 to 4 p.m.
- Participate in networking, games and more from 1:30 to 3 p.m.
On June 6, attendees can:
- Have their headshots taken from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Hear three panels discussions: “Standing Out in a Crowded Job Market” from 9:15 to 10 a.m.; “Advancing Your Career Through Mentorship” from 11:30 a.m. to 12 p.m.; and “Navigating the Internship Voyage: Tips for Interns and Managers” from 2:15 to 3 p.m.
- Participate in networking, games and more from 1 to 2:15 p.m.
On June 7, the final day of the event, stop by booth #178 to:
- Have headshots taken from 9:45 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.
- Attend the “Value of ASSP in Your Career – Meet and Greet with ASSP Leaders” session with discussion and networking from 9:45 to 10:30 a.m.
- Participate in networking, games and more from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.
Lunchtime Meetups with ASSP Communities
Want to maximize your time at Safety 2023? Spend your lunchtime attending ASSP common interest groups and practice specialties meetups. Head to the back of the expo hall during lunch breaks to speak with and learn more about these groups.
Key Issue Collaboration Sessions
Dive deep into a topic with professionals of many levels during Key Issue Collaboration Sessions (KICS). Held every day of Safety 2023, the sessions will explore specific topics in roundtable discussions.
On June 5, KICS include:
- Risk Control for Hazardous Materials
- Tackling Risk Challenges in a Post-Pandemic World
- Breaking Down Silos; The Importance of Communications Between Engineers and EHS Professionals
June 6’s sessions include:
- Environmental Justice "Wokeness": Strategies to Fight Environmental Racism
- Operational Hazards During Construction in the Utilities Industry
- Best Practices for New-Hire Orientation and Onboarding
- Women and Workplace Violence
On June 7, available KICS include:
- Safety Engineering and Renewable Energy
- Making the Transition from Individual Contributor to Manager
Safety 2023 is taking place at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas, from June 5 to 7. The expo floor will be open on June 5 from 11:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; June 6 from 8:45 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; and June 7 from 9:30 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. Sessions will be offered on June 5 from 8 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.; June 6 from 8 a.m. to 5:15 p.m.; and June 7 from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.