Five Safety Professionals Awarded 2008 Distinguished Service Award
At NSC 2008, the National Safety Council (NSC) announced on Sept. 22 that five safety professionals have been awarded its 2008 Distinguished Service to Safety Award. The award is the highest honor bestowed on an individual safety professional by the NSC in recognition of outstanding service to the field of safety and health.
Recepients for this year's Distinguished Service to Safety Awards are:
- Stewart C. Burkhammer, Principle, Burkhammer Consulting Services (Damascus, Md.) - an advocate for safety and health in the field of construction, Burkhammer is a friend of the NSC’s Construction Division.
- W. Ben Hart, CMSP, Mine Safety Program Manager, Florida Department of Environmental Protection - an expert in mine safety and training, Hart has been an active NSC volunteer since 1990, most recently with its Business & Industry Division.
- John Garzich, Manager, Corporate Health & Safety, FirstEnergy Corp. (Akron, Ohio) - a longtime leader in contractor safety and health, Garzich is a volunteer with NSC’s Utilities Division.
- Rose A. McMurray, Chief Safety Officer & Assistant Administrator, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration - a professional in transportation safety, McMurray is an active volunteer with NSC’s Motor Transportation /Transportation Safety Division.
- John J. Tulipana, Jr., Safety Chairman, International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 2727 (Louisville, Ky.) - an established voice in industrial safety and health, Tulipana is a volunteer with NSC’s Labor Division.