Connecticut's Worker Deaths Totaled 38 Last Year

In 2007, work injuries were the cause of 38 deaths in Connecticut, according to the state's Division of Occupational Safety and Health (CONN-OSHA). According to State Labor Commissioner Patricia H. Mayfield, this figure--which remains unchanged from the number of work-related deaths reported for 2006--is below the state's annual average of 41 deaths.

"While we are pleased that the number of work injury deaths has not increased, even one workplace fatality is one too many," Mayfield said. "With the report's data, our agency will continue to work closely with companies in order to educate employers and employees alike to recognize and address workplace hazards."

CONN-OSHA notes that for all of 2007, work injuries cost 5,488 lives nationwide, which translates into a rate of 3.7 deaths per 100,000 workers. Since much of Connecticut's employment is in low-risk industries, the state has consistently been able to maintain a fatality rate below the national average. For 2007, Connecticut had a fatal work injury rate of 2.1 per 100,000 workers.

Specific data on Connecticut work-injury fatalities for 2007, which includes comparisons to national statistics, are outlined in the attached tables. The study includes the following details:

  • Falls resulted in 10 deaths in 2007 and accounted for the largest percentage of workers--about 26 percent--who lost their lives on the job. This includes falls from roofs, ladders, and scaffolding.
  • Assaults and violent acts accounted for the lives of nine workers, three of which were suicides.
  • Men accounted for 37 (97 percent) of the work-injury fatalities in the state. Nationally, men accounted for 5,071 or 92 percent of the fatalities.
  • Wage and salary workers accounted for 74 percent of the fatalities. The remaining 26 percent were self-employed.
  • A total of nine (24 percent) of the fatalities were in transportation and material moving occupations. This category includes tractor-trailer drivers, delivery drivers, and driving sales workers.
  • Approximately 40 percent of the fatalities involved workers between 45 and 54 years of age. The next highest percentage of deaths, at 24 percent, was reported among the workforce in the 25 to 34 year age range.
  • The greatest recorded losses were experienced in 1998 with 57 fatalities, followed by 55 in 2000 and 54 in 2004. The lowest recorded loss occurred in 1993 with 31 deaths.

Since 1992, data on work fatalities is collected through the federal Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries and Illnesses (CFOI) program. Information is collected through media coverage, police reports, death certificates and employers.

Download Center

HTML - No Current Item Deck
  • Safety Management Software - Free Demo

    IndustrySafe Safety Software’s comprehensive suite of modules help organizations to record and manage incidents, inspections, hazards, behavior based safety observations, and much more. Improve safety with an easy to use tool for tracking, notifying and reporting on key safety data.

  • Create Flexible Safety Dashboards

    IndustrySafe’s Dashboard Module allows organizations allows you to easily create and view safety KPIs to help you make informed business decisions. Our best of breed default indicators can also save you valuable time and effort in monitoring safety metrics.

  • Schedule and Record Observations

    IndustrySafe's Observations module allows managers, supervisors, and employees to conduct observations on employees involved in safety critical behavior. IndustrySafe’s pre-built BBS checklists may be used as is, or can be customized to better suit the needs of your organization.

  • Why Is Near Miss Reporting Important?

    A near miss is an accident that's waiting to happen. Learn how to investigate these close calls and prevent more serious incidents from occurring in the future.

  • Get the Ultimate Guide to Safety Training

    When it comes to safety training, no matter the industry, there are always questions regarding requirements and certifications. We’ve put together a guide on key safety training topics, requirements for certifications, and answers to common FAQs.

  • Industry Safe
comments powered by Disqus

OH&S Digital Edition

  • OHS Magazine Digital Edition - June 2019

    June 2019

    Featuring:

    • ASSP SAFETY 2019 PREVIEW
      New Orleans Networking
    • NATION SAFETY MONTH
      Heed These Summer Safety Tips
    • TRAINING
      Education, Skill Development, and Behavior Change
    • SAFETY MANAGEMENT
      What Good Looks Like
    View This Issue

Bulwark Quiz