President Obama Orders Overtime Pay Change

His memorandum directs the Labor Department to change definitions so workers recover OT protections lost to inflation, and it would undo a 2004 change made by President George W. Bush.

The coming battle over executive authority wielded by President Obama has grown more intense March 13, when he directed the U.S. Department of Labor to revise overtime eligibility rules that are set in the Fair Labor Standards Act. The change will "restore overtime protection that workers have lost to inflation since 1975" and will reverse an executive action by President George W. Bush in 2004, the AFL-CIO's Mike Hall reported.

The president has focused increasing attention on income inequality, and he similarly acted to raise the minimum wage for federal contractors this year from $7.25 per hour to $10.10.

A fact sheet posted on the White House website explains the rationale for the changes, saying "millions of salaried workers have been left without the protections of overtime or sometimes even the minimum wage. For example, a convenience store manager or a fast food shift supervisor or an office worker may be expected to work 50 or 60 hours a week or more, making barely enough to keep a family out of poverty, and not receive a dime of overtime pay. It's even possible for employers to pay workers less than the minimum wage per hour.

DOL in 1975 set the threshold below which white-collar workers were entitled to OT pay at $250 per week, and this was raised in 2004 to $455 -- a sum equivalent to $561 in today's dollars, which is below the poverty line for a worker supporting a family of four, according to the fact sheet. It says only 12 percent of salaried workers fall below the threshold: "Many of the remaining 88 percent of salaried workers are ineligible for these protections because they fall within the white collar exemptions. Many recognize that these regulations are outdated, which is why states like New York and California have set higher salary thresholds."

The president's memorandum directs Secretary of Labor Thomas Perez to update the regulations governing who qualifies for overtime protection by considering how the regulations could be revised to:

  • Update existing protections in keeping with the intention of the Fair Labor Standards Act
  • Address the changing nature of the American workplace
  • Simplify the overtime rules to make them easier for workers and businesses to understand and apply

Download Center

  • Safety Metrics Guide

    Is your company leveraging its safety data and analytics to maintain a safe workplace? With so much data available, where do you start? This downloadable guide will give you insight on helpful key performance indicators (KPIs) you should track for your safety program.

  • Job Hazard Analysis Guide

    This guide includes details on how to conduct a thorough Job Hazard Analysis, and it's based directly on an OSHA publication for conducting JHAs. Learn how to identify potential hazards associated with each task of a job and set controls to mitigate hazard risks.

  • A Guide to Practicing “New Safety”

    Learn from safety professionals from around the world as they share their perspectives on various “new views” of safety, including Safety Differently, Safety-II, No Safety, Human and Organizational Performance (HOP), Resilience Engineering, and more in this helpful guide.

  • Lone Worker Safety Guide

    As organizations digitalize and remote operations become more commonplace, the number of lone workers is on the rise. These employees are at increased risk for unaddressed workplace accidents or emergencies. This guide was created to help employers better understand common lone worker risks and solutions for lone worker risk mitigation and incident prevention.

  • EHS Software Buyer's Guide

    Learn the keys to staying organized, staying sharp, and staying one step ahead on all things safety. This buyer’s guide is designed for you to use in your search for the safety management solution that best suits your company’s needs.

  • Vector Solutions

Featured Whitepaper

OH&S Digital Edition

  • OHS Magazine Digital Edition - July August 2022

    July / August 2022

    Featuring:

    • CONFINED SPACES
      Specific PPE is Needed for Entry and Exit
    • HAZARD COMMUNICATION
      Three Quick Steps to Better HazCom Training
    • GAS DETECTION
      Building a Chemical Emergency Toolkit
    • RESPIRATORY PROTECTION
      The Last Line of Defense
    View This Issue