ASSE Honors Members for Promoting Safety at Work Message
The American Society of Safety Engineers presented members from Hawaii, Indiana, Maryland, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Washington yesterday for their help and volunteers during May's North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week, May 3-9, 2009, and Occupational Safety and Health Professional (OSHP) Day, May 6, 2009. Honorees received the NAOSH Champion award at the annual ASSE House of Delegates meeting.
Through these members' efforts, the seventh annual ASSE "Safety-on-the-Job" kids' poster contest received nearly 1,000 entries from around the world with participants ranging in age from 5-14. Through the contest, which awards those that best illustrate being safe on the job, ASSE and its members sought to educate children on the importance of safety and the occupational safety, health, and environmental profession.
The 2009 NAOSH Champion award winners that were recognized for going above and beyond not only this year, but also in the past, are:
- Charles E. Wigger Jr., CSP, of Chandler, Ind., safety director for Lamar Outdoor Advertising and an ASSE professional member.
- Mary Winkler, CSP, of La Plata, Md., occupational safety and health specialist for the Smithsonian Institution in D.C. and former ASSE National Capital Chapter president.
- Allen Yokoyama, CHST, OHST, STS, of Mililani, Hawaii, safety administrator at Albert C. Kobayashi Inc, and ASSE Hawaii Chapter president.
- J. Anthony Blythe, CSP or Bowie, Md., safety director at W.A. Chester LLC and ASSE National Capital Chapter professional member.
- Robert A. Adams, of Gresham, Ore., safety managers at the Coffee Creek Correctional Facility and ASSE Columbia/Willamette Chapter member.
- Michael A. Messner, CSP, CFPS, of Edmond, Okla., loss control consultant for Union Standard Insurance Company and ASSE Oklahoma Chapter president.
- Wesley W. Watkins of Moses Lake, Wash., safety manager at Genie Industries and ASSE member.
- Employees of Genie Industries--a Terex company that is located on Moses Lake, Wash.--who raised funds internally to pay for two of the poster contest winners Watkins sponsored.
For more information, go to www.asse.org.