EPA Revises Pesticide Container and Containment Regs
EPA recently published a final rule amending the pesticide container and containment regulations, which provide for the safe storage and disposal of pesticides as a means of protecting human health and the environment pursuant to the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA). Specifically, the final rule:
- Extends the labeling compliance date from Aug. 17, 2009, to Aug. 17, 2010;
- Changes the phrase "sold or distributed" to "released for shipment" as associated with all of the compliance dates;
- Provides certain exceptions to label language requirements;
- Allows for waivers of certain label requirements;
- Amends 40 CFR 152 by establishing a definition for "released for shipment;" and
- Makes various minor editorial changes.
You may be affected by this action if you are a pesticide formulator, agrichemical dealer, an independent commercial applicator, or a custom blender. Other types of entities not listed here could also be affected. This final rule is effective Dec. 29, 2008. For more information, visit www.epa.gov/pesticides/regulating/containers.htm.