Tips: Indoor Air Quality
In celebration of National Indoor Comfort Week (April 20-26), Atlas Butler Heating and Cooling is encouraging people to take steps to ensure the air in their homes and offices is free of harmful pollutants.
Pollutants such as dust mites, pet hair, cleaning supplies, paints and chemical sprays are released into the air through everyday living. These pollutants can have an impact on a person's health, comfort and safety. Indoor air pollutants can cause a variety of health issues such as allergies, nasal irritation, sore or scratchy throat, nausea, coughing, eye irritation, headaches and fatigue.
Following are some tips for breathing easier while indoors:
- Change air filters every three months.
- Consider allergy air filters.
- Have air ducts cleaned.
- Dust and vacuum twice a month.
- Test indoor air with an air sampling unit.
- Make sure carbon monoxide detectors are working.
- Open windows as much as possible.
- Reduce use of cleaning supplies and chemical sprays.
Here are some warning signs of poor indoor air quality:
- Noticeable increase in dust in home.
- Air filters are dirtier and need changed more frequently.
- Worsening of allergies or other health issues.