APIC Recognizes 12 as 'Heroes of Infection Prevention'
The Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC), an organization of more than 13,000 members who direct infection prevention programs at hospitals and other health care facilities around the globe, announced 12 recipients of the 2010 "Heroes of Infection Prevention" Award in recognition of outstanding service to the profession. APIC says the following recipients have worked tirelessly to prevent infections and improve patient safety:
- Gail Bennett, RN, MSN, CIC – ICP Associates, Rome, Ga.
- Stephanie Brooks, RN, BSN, CIC – Mercy Health Partners, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Nancy Church, RN, MT, CIC -- Providence St. Vincent Medical Center, Portland, Ore.
- Janet Johnson, BSN, RN, MSAS, CIC -- Avera Sacred Health Hospital, Yankton, S.D.
- Brian Koll, MD, FACP -- Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, N.Y.
- Kathleen Lucente, MT, RN, CIC -- Paoli Hospital, Paoli, Pa.
- Nan Maddox, RN, BS, CIC -- Wellstar Kennestone Hospital, Marietta, Ga.
- Faisal Masud, MD, FCCP -- Methodist DeBakey Heart and Vascular Center, Houston, Texas
- Mary Buchanan, BSN, ARNP-BC, CIC and Ted Newton, RN, BS, BSN, MHA, CIC, CHSP -- Dwight David Eisenhower Army Medical Center, Fort Gordon, Ga.
- Northeastern Infection Control Educators (NICE) -- Princeton, N.J.
- Julie Spallino, CAN, CRCST, AGTS -- Kindred Hospital Las Vegas-Flamingo,
Las Vegas, Nev.
- Wisconsin Division of Public Health Healthcare Worker Influenza Vaccination Improvement Team -- Wisconsin Division of Public Health, Bureau of Communicable Diseases and Emergency Response, Madison, Wis.
"From eliminating central-line bloodstream infections in the neonatal intensive care unit, to organizing statewide HAI prevention initiatives, to improving employee influenza vaccination rates -- this year's Heroes demonstrate what improvements in patient safety can be accomplished when focused commitment and unrelenting determination coexist," said APIC's 2010 President Cathryn Murphy, RN, Ph.D., CIC. "We are proud to honor our award recipients for their hard work, leadership and success in preventing infections and saving lives. They inspire us enormously."
APIC established the Heroes of Infection Prevention Award in 2005. The 2010 Heroes receive complimentary registration to the 2010 APIC Annual Conference (http://conference.apic.org/) in New Orleans and will be honored at an Awards luncheon on July 12. They also will be featured throughout the year on the APIC Web site (www.apic.org) and in the association’s quarterly magazine, Prevention Strategist.