NHTSA Creates Online Fourth of July Promotional Planner
The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has made available an online planner that contains promotional materials to be used in support the agency's annual Fourth of July Impaired Driving Prevention Campaign.
This promotional planner contains marketing material, earned media tools, and marketing ideas that can be distribute to fit local needs and objectives while at the same time encourage partnerships with other states, communities, and organizations all across the country. The planner includes messaging and templates that users may choose from to support their impaired driving initiatives surrounding the Fourth of July for both the social norming and enforcement efforts.
The tools available can be used in several capacities and are built on the message platforms, "Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving" (social norming), and "Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest." (enforcement).
To support these platforms these materials also carry the taglines, "Don't let July 4th blow up in your face" for social norming (a reference to both fireworks and the possibility of arrest or crashes due to impaired driving), and "Make the Fourth a blast, not a bust," for enforcement (alluding to the possibility of being arrested for impaired driving).
Among the materials available are "Thought Starters for Promotional Activities," these include:
- Dramatize a press conference by roping off an area at a local park, town hall, or state capitol and use American or state flags to represent how many people were killed due to drunk driving around July 4th last year.
- Partner with local fireworks stores/stands to distribute "Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving" or "Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest." flyers with every purchase.
- If your community has a Fourth of July parade, partner with local law enforcement to showcase "Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving" or "Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest." floats or branded police vehicles.
- Partner with MADD, a local hospital, etc., to help support the local Fourth of July fireworks at a local park/stadium. Hang branded banners and distribute factual leaflets before and after the fireworks show.
- If your community has a recreational lake/river, hang "Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving" or "Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest." banners at the boat ramps or from police boats and distribute branded koozies to fellow boaters.
- Coordinate with local softball leagues or minor league baseball teams to display and distribute "Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving" or "Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest." materials and posters on big game nights.
- Coordinate with alcohol retailers (liquor stores, convenience stores) to display “Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving” or “Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest.” posters on windows, cooler doors, etc., to remind everyone to help remind everyone to drink and act responsibly.
To download these materials, to go www.nhtsa.gov/planners/July2008/.