ANSI to Co-Sponsor Import Safety Summit
The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is co-sponsoring the "Import Safety Summit," an inter-industry conference to be held in Washington, DC, with eleven other organizations on July 9, 2008.
The summit will feature a keynote address by Michael O. Leavitt, Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Leavitt is also the Chair of the President's Interagency Working Group on Import Safety.
ANSI president and CEO S. Joe Bhatia will moderate the first discussion of the day, which will focus on the challenges and solutions of import safety.
Bringing together representatives from both government and industry, the purpose of the summit is to help to fortify the nation's public-private partnership on import safety. A series of moderated, panel-based discussions involving public and private sector leaders will provide opportunities for summit participants to learn about the solutions being developed and to examine the challenges that still need to be addressed. Panels will include:
- Import Safety - Challenges and Solutions: This panel will discuss the importance of promoting safety throughout the supply chain and will identify both cross-cutting and unique steps that each industry can take to help ensure the safety of its products.
- Standards and Certification: Outlining the critical role that standards-setting, auditing and certification activities play in building consumer confidence, this panel will highlight current successful accredited third-party certification programs.
- Medical Products: This group will focus on the healthcare industry, presenting the legal and regulatory safety and security requirements in place today, steps already taken to maintain a secure supply chain, and potential next steps in the development and incorporation of standards and business practices.
- Food Industry: This panel will discuss these challenges faced by the food industry, and will highlight comprehensive supply chain processes to effectively enhance the safety of food products.
- Consumer Products: Emphasizing the importance of a risk-based approach to import safety, this group will provide examples of the processes that major retailers and consumer products manufacturers already undertake to ensure consumer product safety.
The summit is open to all interested participants, and will be held on Wednesday, July 9, 2008, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Grand Hyatt Hotel in Washington, DC. Registration is required by July 8, 2008.
For more information, and to register online, Click Here.